We can't deny there’s a fact about volunteering: nearly everybody thinks it’s inspiring. Friends, family, coworkers, employers, and strangers are all amazed when they hear that magic word. It’s almost like some kind of code that says you’re a good person, which is actually true. It really does take an outstanding person to spend the time and energy to make a positive impact.
Have you heard about VOLUNTOURISM?
Most people have the idea that volunteering is only about helping at a church, feeding people at a shelter, and giving local help. But there's something more, a unique experience that makes volunteering much more exciting: VOLUNTOURISM. A new and different adventure that offers a good and healthy break from routine, by helping others while traveling around the world at the same time.
Living an international philanthropic experience won't only bring you immeasurable personal benefits, but will also give a boost to your life, it will say a lot about your ethics, capabilities, and dedication, no matter your professional or personal history or background.
"International Volunteers bring different cultural perspectives, energy and creative ideas, and all of this makes a solid contribution to everyone. Besides their core assignments, they also engage in various social and community projects and learn from each other. They remain a flexible and agile partner, with an ear to the ground, ability to react quickly and capacity to continuously change and evolve". - Steliana Nedera (UNDP Resident Representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina).
Here Are 6 Reasons Why You Should Try VOLUNTOURISM.
1. It provides you with a global perspective.
In this diverse world, we all value people who work well and easily navigate in a multicultural environment. It shows that you know how to interact with people with different ways of thinking and be in numerous contexts. You are willing to learn from other cultures and points of view - an essential skill to collaborate with people from all nationalities.
2. It builds character and teaches you valuable real-world skills.
These skills are acquired through your volunteering experience. All of them are learned naturally and are essential for everyone's personal and professional lives.
- Effective Communication. During your volunteering experience, you communicate with either your team or with the people in need. You learn how to carefully listen, understand, have empathy, give your ideas and concepts, and take action for everyone's well-being.
- Planning and Organization. These two are the key to achieving specific goals and a successful outcome not only at work but during your VOLUNTOURISM trip too, from the preparation till the way back home. Prioritizing tasks, arranging them in the appropriate order, scheduling, thinking about backup plans, budgeting, and project development.
- Problem-solving. International Volunteers are able to think outside the box and create solutions. Most of the countries in help require people who can come up with ideas they haven't thought about, and that's when volunteers from abroad come into place.
- Management. You develop and put into practice teamwork and leadership skills. You learn how to get on with the job in hand straight away. Your team may also change throughout your placement which develops your team-building abilities.
3. It gets you a high level of flexibility.
You become not only qualified for whatever you want to achieve but conscientious. During your volunteering trip, you experience and encountered various challenges, you become someone who's willing to get out of your comfort zone to go for more. You learn how to easily adapt to different contexts and situations whenever is needed.
4. It expands your network to an international level.
This gives you a diverse perspective. You meet people from all over the world, which can take you to paths you never imagined, and professional connections that can expose you to all kinds of opportunities around the globe. It also helps you grow personally and leads to some of the most interesting relationships you’ll ever have.
5. It uplifts your confidence.
You discover new things about yourself and end up being so proud of it. You might feel more comfortable doing things you never thought you could do like speaking in public, creating new things, making a change in the world, developing new abilities, interacting with different people, realizing what you're capable of doing, and achieving anything you like.
6. It makes you have a wider perspective of life.
Volunteers often become more humble, compassionate, and empathetic encouraging them to seek solutions to problems that will serve those in need. Research made by the American Psychological Association has shown that those who volunteer are happier, and feel a greater sense of purpose in their lives.
No matter what program you choose to volunteer abroad, either one related to your career field so you gain valuable experience, or any other that is not linked to it, we assure you that it will be an experience rich with opportunities and huge personal rewards.
If you're ready to give it a try, you can join our International Volunteering Trip to Lebanon in Summer 2022. Where we're committed to achieving 5 Sustainable Development Goals with the Lebanese population and the groups of Refugees that live there, such as Iraqis, Syrians, and Palestinians:
1. No Poverty
2. Quality Education
3. Climate Action
4. Help Rebuilding the City - after the explosion in Beirut in 2020.
As a Founder of the NGO Let's Do It Amigos, I can guarantee you that Volunteering abroad changes your life in a way no other work experience will. Give it a try, you won't regret it!
See you on social media!